Kansas legislation (H.B. 2650) was recently substantially amended in the Senate to raise the registration fee on antiques, street rods and special interest vehicles. The bill has already passed the House. The Senate substituted the House bill with all new language to increase the state's revenue. One section of the substituted bill increases the registration fee for all passenger vehicles, and another two separate sections were inserted to specifically target antiques and street rods/special interest vehicles. Under the substituted bill, each of the registration fees would increase by $10 on January 1, 2013 and by another $10 on January 1, 2014.
We Urge You to Contact Members of the Senate Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 2650
* Under current law, an antique vehicle registration is a $40 one-time fee. A street rod or special interest vehicle is subject to an annual registration for a fee of $26.
* H.B. 2650 increases the one-time antique vehicle registration fee to $50 on January 1, 2013 and to $60 on January 1, 2014.
* H.B. 2650 increases the annual street rod or special interest vehicle registration to $36 on January 1, 2013 and to $46 on January 1, 2014.
* H.B. 2650 ignores the fact that antique vehicles, street rods and special interest vehicles are driven less frequently than regular passenger vehicles (about one-third the miles each year as a new vehicle) and should therefore not be targeted as revenue boosters.
* H.B. 2650 ignores the fact that many antique vehicles are owned and maintained by low and fixed income Americans who are less able to afford a higher registration fee.
DON'T DELAY! Please contact members of the Kansas Senate Transportation Committee immediately by e-mail to request their opposition to H.B. 2650. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your assistance.
Kansas Senate Transportation Committee
Senator Dwayne Umbarger - Chairperson
Senator Bob Marshall - Vice Chairperson
Senator Pat Apple
Senator Les Donovan
Senator Terrie Huntington
Senator Mike Petersen
Senator Vicki Schmidt
Senator Kelly Kultala
Senator Anthony Hensley