Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum presented by Automobile Club of Southern California
Admission is free and open to the public
Hear tall tales and bench racing exploits from some of the original members of the Low Flyers of Santa Monica - one of hot rodding's earliest and most important car clubs. Join us at the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum on Saturday, Jan. 29 at 4 p.m. with moderators Museum Chairman Alex Xydias and Jim Miller, son of Eddie Miller Jr, original Low Flyer member. Stuart Hilborn, Phil Remington, Dick "Magoo" Megugorac, and Bob Wenz will reminisce of their car club days and hot rodding adventures. Admission is free, courtesy of Dan Webb, who recently re-created the Phil Remington Modified!
The Low Flyers of Santa Monica was a very competitive dry lakes racing club that reached prominence in the immediate post-World War II era. An incredible number of auto racing luminaries came from the club including Stu Hilborn, inventor of the fuel injection system that bears his name, and famed cam grinder Jack Engle. Phil Remington, instrumental in the development of the Cobra and Ford GT-40, and Indy 500 winning mechanics Jim Travers and Frank Coon were also members. After winning back-to-back 500s with Bill Vukovich in 1953 and '54, Travers and Coon formed Traco Racing Engines and were responsible for winning entries for customers such as Roger Penske, Lance Reventlow and Jim Hall. America's first World Driving Champion Phil Hill once remarked that as a young man growing up in Santa Monica, he was in awe of the Low Flyers.
The Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum is located at 1101 W. McKinley Ave., Building 3A, Pomona CA, 91768. For more information, contact the Museum at 909-622-2133, or visit http://museum.nhra.com.