SEMA model legislation (S.B. 412) that would create a vehicle registration classification for street rods and custom vehicles and provide for special license plates for these vehicles has been introduced in the New Mexico State Legislature. S.B. 412 defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. The bill has been referred to the New Mexico Senate Corporations and Transportation Committee for consideration.
We Urge You to Contact All Members of the New Mexico Senate Corporations and Transportation Committee (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for S.B. 412
* S.B. 412 provides specific registration/titling classes and license plates for street rods and customs, including kits and replicas. Street rods are of a pre-1949 vintage; customs are of the post-1949 era.
* S.B. 412 allows for the use of non-original materials and creates a titling and registration criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.
* S.B. 412 only holds street rods, customs and replicas to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title of the vehicle.
* S.B. 412 provides for a one-time registration and plate fee of $100.
* S.B. 412 recognizes the immeasurable amount of time, money and attention automotive enthusiasts invest in their hobby cars. Street rods, customs and replicas are the same crowd pleasers that participate in exhibitions and as parade vehicles, and whose owners regularly contribute to charities and civic events. This legislation represents an opportunity to acknowledge this family hobby and to protect it for future generations.
DON'T DELAY! Please contact members of the New Mexico Senate Corporations and Transportation Committee to urge support for S.B. 412.
Please e-mail a copy of your letters to Steve McDonald at email@example.com
New Mexico Senate Corporations and Transportation Committee
Senator Phil A. Griego - Chair
Senator Lynda M. Lovejoy - Vice Chair
Senator William F. Burt
Senator Kent L. Cravens
Senator Timothy M. Keller
Senator George K. Munoz
Senator John M. Sapien
Senator William E. Sharer
Senator David Ulibarri
Senator Mark Boitano