Last month I vaguely alluded to the 1933 Tudor's use of Lincoln drum brakes, intentionally not going into much detail knowing that I'd be devoting a page or two this issue to the installation itself. Had we gone with a standard 1940 Ford–style drum, there'd really be nothing to discuss; but since the "adjustable" (that's the key word there) Lincoln setup uses a different shape spindle flange than the Fords, there's a bit of modification required...let's call it fitting a square peg in a round hole.
From the get go, I knew the Lincoln drums were what the sedan was going to get. And instead of having to source a set of originals to start with, I chose the higher path and opted to utilize Speedway Motors' Bendix-based versions, with all-new components—from the ribbed 12-inch drums to the stamped backing plates and mechanical internals. What I did not consider at first, however, was the forthcoming effort that would be required in order to fit said brakes to my standard (aftermarket) 1937-41 Ford spindles. The upper portion of the recessed spindle pocket on Lincoln backing plates is flat, thus won't fit over a round spindle. A good portion of the Ford spindle obviously needs to be removed, but because the King Pin boss is also part of that area, it needs to be done in a tapered manner.
Grinding on a forged-steel spindle doesn't sound like a whole lot of work, and in essence, it's not. But it's somewhat of a delicate matter, as you're working in the immediate presence of vital performance areas: the King Pin bushings and spindle shafts themselves. To avoid damaging the Oillite bushings, I did my grinding/shaping with the spindles installed on the axle; the spindle shafts were heavily taped up to aid in protecting the bearing surfaces. Wedging a punch between the spindle and the axle kept the spindle in place during the material removal procedure.
While to some the Ford backing plate may be more visually appealing, I prefer the ribbed Lincoln drum, but it's the adjustability aspect that led me to the latter. As for the looks, I'll soon add screened vent holes to the upper section of the backing plates.